SAQA / CATHSSETA ID: 14111
Course Name: National Certificate: Professional Cookery (Full Qualification)
NQF Level: 4
- It is assumed that an FEC certificate or equivalent has been obtained by the candidate at level 2. (The existing Std 8 certificate meets these requirements)
- Learners should have a basic comprehension of English.
- Basic reading and writing skills are required.
- Basic calculations.
- Cleaning materials and equipment.
- Customer care principles.
- Different fruit, vegetables & dough products.
- Different knives, utensils & equipment.
- Different meat, poultry, game & fish cuts.
- Food production areas.
- Health, hygiene, safety & security.
- Layout, services & facilities of the organisation.
- Sectors of the Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Industry.
- Stock management & storage.
- Telephone etiquette.
- Provide customer service.
- Process incoming and outgoing telephone calls.
- Display Cultural Awareness in dealing with Customers & Colleagues.
- Communicate verbally.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other members of staff.
- Maintain health, hygiene and professional appearance.
- Identify work opportunities.
- Apply for a job or experience placement.
- Prepare written communications.
- Provide First Aid.
- Maintain hygiene in food preparation, cooking and storage.
- Prepare fruit for hot and cold dishes.
- Prepare vegetables for hot and cold dishes.
- Handle and maintain knives.
- Accept and store food deliveries.
- Clean and store crockery and cutlery.
- Prepare and cook basic meat, poultry, game or offal dishes.
- Prepare and cook basic sauces and soups.
- Handle and store food.
- Handle, Clean and Maintain food production areas, equipment and utensils.
- Maintain food production operations.
- Maintain a cleaning programme for kitchen areas and equipment.
- Maintain and promote food hygiene in the kitchen.
- Maintain Food production quality control systems, procedures and specifications.
- Maintain a safe and secure working environment.
- Conduct on-the-job coaching.
- Develop self within the job role.
- Maintain the receipt, storage and issue of goods.
- Plan & deliver staff training and development in own area of responsibility.
- Maintain the cleaning programme for own area of responsibility.
- Maintain supply levels.
- Manage one’s own development.
- Questionnaires on theory.
- Assignments on workplace implementation.
- Practical assessment on all aspects of preparing & cooking food in a restaurant, lodge, hotel or guesthouse.
- Drum Beat Academy and CATHSSETA certificate.
What do I do now?
- Fill in the quick contact form to the right and we’ll get back to you.
- You can also phone us on:
- Call Centre: 0860 10 36 35
- Pretoria: 012 460 9585
- Cape Town: 021 300 0690
- Durban: 031 100 1168
- Johannesburg: 011 568 0773